The International Day of Self-love is celebrated on 13th February of each year.
Founded by Christine Arylo, self-love advocate and author, he mentioned:
The International Day of Self-Love serves to strengthen a person’s feeling of being loved, so that by February 14th they don’t need anyone else to give them love. Any love that shows up is extra. And they are so full of love that on February 14th they are able to give love to all the people they love, not just their romantic partner. When they’re filled up with love, and steeped in their Love Power, the loneliness and let-down just don’t show up.Christine Arylo
Giving yourself a day of self-love
It all starts with making the deliberate steps to savor the joy and content that comes out of your existence. No one else can better represent this version of you. Factors such as relationships and interactions with others only compliment your sense of self. Undertaking sole activities reminds us of the intrinsic value of our lives; holding us responsible for our happiness.
Capitalism thrives from a point of low self-esteem and inadequacy. Look around and observe how friends and relatives are in a rat race to acquire material objects. Critical activities such as reading books, spending time with loved ones and appreciating our milestones are neglected as we engage the pursuit for materialism. Valentine’s Day feeds into this cabal. Love is equated to expensive gifts and dinners, and if not, society terms it disappointing.
The self-love day provides an opportunity to disengage from the farce of materialism to focus on our inner peace and self-worth.
Activities of self-love
Spending time on self-love demands a change of routine and perspective. Let it be a gradual process full to soak in the activities that replenish your soul. Often, people forget that unless you truly love yourself then you cannot love others.
Take a second, look in the mirror, smile, and appreciate the person you see in the mirror. Precious. Loved. Unique. Tell yourself these words of affirmation. That’s you!
Here are a few more activities to consider engaging in:
1.Take yourself on a date
Honing self-development comes from learning and trusting in your capacities. We’re all worth of nice experiences in this life; even when alone. Take yourself to a cool restaurant, catch the latest Avatar movie in a flashy cinema, sit in the corner of your favorite coffee shop and read away the afternoon. Truth is, you don’t need a reason to enjoy a good time. Teach yourself to spend time alone is self-empowering and allows you to be independent of others to be happy.
2.Give back to nature
In a world obsessed with self-destruction due to climate change, industrialization, inequalities and other challenges, be kind to mother nature. Research shows planting trees and other forms of cultivation make people happier and at ease. Amazing, huh? Rather than feeding into the capitalistic world through impulse buying; purchasing plants doesn’t leave a guilty conscience. Additionally, remember plants require tending and this will further rejuvenate your sense of self-worth and purpose.
3.Learn a new skill
Enroll for that class you’ve postponed for long. Reigniting a passion gives nourishes your soul and brings unexplored enjoyment. Tapping into new skills stretches your potential and brings self-enrichment unknown to you and others. Therefore, shape your identity by building your skills and interests.
4.Reminisce on your favorite moments
Remember that moment when the world was at your feet? It doesn’t matter how long the moment lasted. That prom night when you stole the show. Treasure the moment and cling to it when life’s worst comes your way. In those moments, tell yourself that cry lasts the night and joy comes in the morning. While awaiting the north star, smile from the joyous past.
25 Best self-love quotes
- Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home.― Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- I love myself for I am a beloved child of the universe and the universe lovingly takes care of me now. – Louise Hay
- There are women who struggle to gain weight who are beautiful. There are women who struggle to LOSE weight who are beautiful. You know who is the most beautiful? Those who learn to love themselves the way they are. You don’t need to change for ANYONE. ― Teresa Mummer
- When admiring other people’s gardens, don’t forget to tend to your own flowers. ― Sandbar Khan
- Love others to make them feel better and so that you see yourself in the mirrors of their eyes. ― Debasish Mridha
- Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.
- Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.
- Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you. – Karl Lagerfeld
- Your time is way too valuable to be wasting on people that can’t accept who you are. – Turcois Ominek
- This life is mine alone. So I have stopped asking people for directions to places they’ve never been. – Glennon Doyle
- Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure. – Oprah Winfrey
- When you make a mistake, respond to yourself in a loving way rather than a self-shaming way. – Ellie Holcomb.
- Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on. – Maxwell Maltz
- Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it. – M Scott Peck
- How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you. – Rupi Kaur
- Be so completely yourself that everyone else feels safe to be themselves, too. – Unknown
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself—what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat. – Warsan Shire
- She remembered who she was and the game changed. – Lalah Delia
- To find a happy ending with someone else, first you have to find it alone. – Soman Chainani
- But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous! – Darren Star
- Love is inside me. Other people might awaken it or threaten it, but as a capacity, it’s mine. — Sharon Salzberg
- Be single and save yourself for a relationship that motivates you to become the best version of yourself. Be single until you find a love that resembles the type of love you’ve been fighting for. —r.h. Sin
- Learn to be alone without being lonely. Learn to admire your beauty without finding fault. Learn to love yourself without the love of others. —h.r.d
- Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do. – Brene Brown
Self-love means wishing yourself the best and believing that it’s achievable. Follow our advice above and create within a heart of thanksgiving overflowing with love for self and others.